The 5000-year-old ancient tradition of yoga, originating in India, continues to gain popularity in the U.S. A study conducted by the Yoga Alliance and Yoga Journal found that the number of people doing yoga is up from 20.4 million in 2012 to 36.7 million in 2016 and that 34% or roughly 80 million Americans say that they are somewhat or very likely to practice yoga in the next twelve months. With this in mind, the Seaport Association of Norwalk has put together the Morning Yoga Cruise to Sheffield Island on June 30 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
This relaxing excursion begins with an early morning ferry ride to Sheffield Island. Early morning is one of the most beautiful times of day to be on the water. Once on the island, there will be a one-hour session with Yoga Instructor, Amanda Boe who has received her YTT certification from the Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health. Boe has also been a student of many yoga teachers from around the globe. “I believe that yoga is a great equalizer, and teaching yoga offers balance in a hectic world.”
Five Reasons to take the Morning Yoga Cruise
1. Get Ready to Unplug. Turn off your cell phone and get ready to engage your senses to the sounds of the sea. Practicing yoga on the very private Sheffield Island with no more than 49 other participants is exhilarating. Here, you will experience the kind of quiet that allows you to listen and become one with the sounds of the island leaving the work a day world far behind. This is the kind of quiet that expands your senses and allows you to unwind as you breathe deeply, smell the fresh salt air, and listen to the mysteries of the wind.
2. Gain a Sense of Inner Calm. Yoga helps quiet the mind and teaches us how to step back from our churning thoughts and anxieties. Many people practice yoga to “de-stress,” which in turn, reduces its physical effects on the body. Yoga encourages relaxation, which helps lower the level of stress hormones like cortisol. It is also known that when we are less stressed we sleep better; several studies have shown that yoga improves sleep quality. Lowering stress also lowers blood pressure and slows the heart rate, improves digestion, and boosts the immune system.
3. Improve your Flexibility and General Fitness. Yoga is a full body workout that improves flexibility, and more importantly, mobility. Flexibility is what makes it easier to complete everyday movements like kneeling, bending or reaching; certain yoga holds build functional strength where you really need it. Yoga also increases your mobility by making it easier to accomplish these things. As an added bonus, yoga is exercise and you will burn calories doing it!
4. Learn to Breathe. Think of breathing as an endless feedback loop. One of the central purposes of yoga is to bring awareness to the way emotions affect breathing. When practicing yoga you will learn to breathe differently and how to use this knowledge in everyday situations. To “take a deep breath” is much more than just a saying, taking a deep breath is sometimes the only thing between you and saying something you will regret. Among the many health benefits to the heart, brain and immune system, deep breathing keeps the body in its naturally slightly alkalinized state.
5. Connect with yourself. Yoga is about becoming attuned to our individual self. The word yoga means “union” and refers to the union of mind, body, and spirit. The beauty of the Sunrise Yoga Cruise is that this time away allows participants to set aside a few hours to rejuvenate and connect or reconnect with their inner thoughts. The natural beauty of Sheffield Island, the sound of the waves, the chatter of birds, and the sea breeze provide a perfect backdrop to give yourself an hour or so just let yourself go or to sort everything out.
About the Morning Yoga Cruise
The Sunrise Cruise and Yoga Session is for adults only. It is open to all skill levels and to anyone looking to enjoy a serene ferry ride to Sheffield Island followed by an hour of yoga. Fresh fruit and water will be provided.
The boat leaves from the Sheffield Island Lighthouse Dock located at the corner of North Water Street and Washington Street in historic South Norwalk. Parking is available adjacent to the dock and the Norwalk Maritime Aquarium Garage.
Tickets are $40 ($42.39 with service fee) and may be purchased online by clicking here.