Due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns, the Norwalk Seaport Association (NSA) is canceling the 43rd annual Norwalk Oyster Festival, previously scheduled for September 11-13, 2020. Prioritizing the health and safety of everyone involved, the decision comes after careful deliberation between the NSA Board of Trustees, and Festival Exhibitors.
“We are disappointed that we’re unable to hold this highly anticipated event,” said NSA President Mike Reilly. “But, based on the information we have today, we know it’s the right decision to make.” With that said, Reilly continued, “The Norwalk Oyster Festival raises more than $100,000 that contributes to the maintenance and restoration of the historic Sheffield Island Lighthouse and to support our educational programs. Without this festival taking place in 2020, we will be facing a challenging year. We are hoping for the continued support of all the friends of the Seaport and the Norwalk Oyster Festival to help us continue with our mission.”
“From Seaport leadership and regional partners like the long time event sponsor, First County Bank, to the artists, performers, vendors, and volunteers who work so tirelessly to stage the Norwalk Oyster Festival each year,” Mike continued, “We thank everyone for standing with us in making this difficult call. We are counting the days to restaging the festival and celebrating our maritime heritage together again in 2021.
The NSA team is exploring options to coordinate an online experience or a smaller event to showcase this historic, beloved event – one of the most popular in Connecticut and the Northeast. In the interim, we urge everyone to follow federal, state, and local COVID-19 mitigation advice.
To keep updated on our planned activities, please follow our Facebook page, subscribe to our newsletter at www.seaport.org, or email us at email@example.com.