On September 23, 2017, from 10 am – 3 pm. the Torrington Historical Society is hosting the Torrington House Tour that will highlight six historic homes and one garden. Tickets are $30 in advance and $35 the day of the tour. Tickets may be purchased online at www.torringtonhousetour.org
The Torrington House Tour provides a unique opportunity to learn about Torrington’s history and to see how historic homes have been preserved and adapted for the 21st century. The house tour is also designed to highlight positive achievements in the community and increase awareness of the city’s heritage.
The homes and garden that will be open to the public on September 23, 2017 include:
Owen Cummings House located at 251 Crestwood Road
This Tudor-revival house constructed in 1938 is impressively sited on a large lot with a beautifully landscaped back yard and patio. The current owners have preserved the home’s exterior charm while adding more living space and a modern kitchen.
William Danaher House located at 54 Adelaide Terrace
This “California-Modern” home was built in 1974. The open, yet cozy first floor opens onto a patio and inground pool. The house has many original interior details including a double-sided fireplace and cathedral ceiling in the living room.
Hotchkiss-Fyler House located at 192 Main Street
Built in 1900, this grand Victorian-style home has been operated by the Torrington Historical Society as a house museum since 1956. The home is remarkably well-preserved and is furnished as it was in 1956.
William Burns House located at 17 Wilson Avenue
This house was built ca. 1895 as a clapboard-covered wood frame house. In 1926 it was totally remodeled according to plans drawn up by noted Torrington architect William E. Hunt and a brick façade was added. The house retains many of the interior details designed by the architect.
William E. Hunt House located at 59 Wilson Avenue
This gambrel-roofed home was built in the late 19th century but was totally remodeled by William E. Hunt when he purchased it in 1920 for his private residence. The exterior has been restored by the current owners and the interior is well preserved featuring many of the architect’s signature touches.
First Church Parsonage located at 380 University Drive
This historic Greek-Revival style home was constructed as the parsonage for the First Congregational Church in 1845. The current owners have retained the clapboard exterior and original window sash while adding a new kitchen, large family room and master bedroom suite.
Edmund Wooding House 1845 located at 52 Norfolk Road
This historic home is situated on the West Branch of the Naugatuck River. The gardens are behind the house and along the river. These formal gardens have a park-like setting with stone walls, boxwood topiary and yews. The gardens have a European feel and can be enjoyed year-round.
Tour participants can take a shuttle bus or drive their own vehicles. The tour begins at the Chamber of Commerce at 333 Kennedy Drive where participants will receive a program guide and map. On Friday, September 22nd a House Tour Preview Party will include a bus tour of the 6 homes from 5-7 p.m. followed by a reception with refreshments and entertainment from 7-9 p.m.